Monthly Archives: April 2016

Completed Shot 03

Here is the final version of the third shot of my senior year. Complete with lights, shadows, and mental ray rendering.

Advertisements
Tagged

Production Schedule

Even though this was supposed to be our schedule to complete the WHOLE short film, our undergraduate thesis project took a lot longer than expected. That being said, this schedule still held up, but instead of applying to whole project, it only applied to the first sequence (63 seconds) of our short film.

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 5.46.05 PMScreen Shot 2016-05-18 at 5.46.23 PM

Tagged

Credits

My group mate Henry designed this slide for us. It includes everyone who has worked on or been a part of our undergrad thesis project.

Credits

Tagged

Shot 03 Test Render

Here is a test render from my third shot of the year. I just needed to make sure the lights and shadows were acting the way I wanted them to and that the overall image looked appealing.

05 Test Render 4-22

Tagged

Title Card

I think this is still a work in progress but we needed to have something for the BFA Gallery. Here is the title card to our short film, now called: “Capsule Catastrophe”.

TitleCardFinal

Tagged

BFA Gallery Prints

For the BFA Gallery, we needed to make several 11″ x 17″ prints that would accompany the first sequence of our short film. The first print was a “title card” of sorts which listed the BFA students involved, as well as the title of the project and a brief description of it. The second and third prints were strictly pre-production art from our project. It was my job to collect all of our old artwork and design the layouts for these prints. I had to design everything to fit on a 12″ x 18″ piece of paper which would be cut down to size to allow for a “full bleed” print. You can even see the crop marks and guides used to indicate where the paper needed to be trimmed down. I had a lot of fun putting these together!

BFAgalleryPrint3BFAgalleryPrint2BFAgalleryPrint1

Tagged

Production Checklist

As producer, I was constantly making sure that everything was moving smoothly and that everyone knew what shot they were working on, so we can maximize our production efficiency. Google spread sheets were an invaluable tool in this department. Here is a copy of our Production Checklist which broke down who was working on what and which shots were done or still needed to be assigned.

ProductionChecklist

Tagged

Less is More

After a visit from a couple animation alumni students, I decided to trim down my shot a little bit. I had the privilege of Youri Dekker critiquing my shot and advising me to cut off most of the beginning. Not only was it not as strong as the rest of the shot, it was just making the entire shot very long and he felt it wasn’t necessary to tell the story. With that note, I cut off a considerable chunk from the beginning and decided to start the shot with the character already looking curiously at the button.

Tagged

BG Pipe Assets

The more we watched the first sequence of our short film, we started getting the feeling that the character’s workspace looked too clean, mainly the background. If these guys did work at a delivery factory, we needed to make it feel like it. So we designed and added these pipes in the background of the shots to make the frame feel a little more populated and realistic.

Tagged

Camera Move

In order to capture all of the cartoony movement of my character at the end of the shot, I pulled the way camera out. The problem is that for most of the shot, most of the frame is nothing but empty space. And I think the distance from the character literally creates distance between the viewer and the character, not allowing them to develop an emotional connection. My teacher advised me to start in close and then once the character presses the button, the camera can pull out really fast–which fits nicely with the cartoony feel I’m aiming for–that way it can catch all of the fun cartoony scramble at the end.

Tagged
Advertisements